September 8, 2012

Not So Yum, Suzy Wong.

Finding a good Thai restaurant is harder than it sounds in Nashville and unfortunately, my first attempt did not pan out so well. I went to Suzy Wong's House of Yum twice within a few weeks of one another and it just doesn't satisfy my Thai-cravings. Here are a few reasons why I won't be returning to Suzy Wong's House of Yum:

It's not so yum: Lots of oil, strange mixture of flavors, and fast-food at its finest. Between the two visits to Suzy Wong's I tried about 7 things on the menu. Between seeing a puddle of oil at the bottom of my vegetable stir-fry with tofu, trying the obscure-tasting pulled-pork spring rolls, and receiving my curry approximately 30 seconds after placing my order with the waitress, I was not impressed. I don't know of anyone who can make a curry in 30 seconds. It was as if the chef was reading my mind. But, I know he wasn't so how did a bowl of curry come so quickly without being pre-served? I'm still wondering...

Less than pleasant atmosphere: I'm not that fussy, but when the restaurant isn't full and you seat me in a dark corner next to the busing station and dishwashers, that's unacceptable. Seat your guests where they can see the restaurant and what’s happening. While I faced some ugly paintings of seductive-looking geishas, my sister sat facing the dishwashing area. Not cool. 

Identity Crisis: I cannot tell you how many restaurants fail trying to execute a tapas menu. I'm no Spaniard, but I have spent many months in Spain and I know all about the tapas culture. Trust me, it was my time in Spain that really influenced my food interests. Anyway, getting back to the point I'd like to make, "tapas" are pronounced like this: /ˈtæp.əs/, according to the International Phonetic Alphabet. I cringed when I heard our waiter say, "Would you like to order from the "Tap-as" menu? I know I'm among southern accents, but let's get the pronunciation right, please. Another thing, tapas are small plates that come to the table when they're ready. Tapas are not served all at once. That's the beauty: you order a bunch of tapas and they arrive one after another.

Unpredictable Service: During my first meal, it took 15 minutes to for the bartender to serve three beers! Come one, it was the middle of the week and not very busy. During my second meal, the food came out way too quickly, all at once, and so it got cold. Time management might be something they should work on.

I don’t know, have you been? Everyone I talk to gives it mixed reviews. In my opinion, it just ain't up to snuff! Let the search for a Thai restaurant continue...


No comments:

Post a Comment